• Serving, and not Helping

5:30 am, 15 Feb 2017 By Billions in Change

If philanthropy is service to humanity, then those we are serving should be seen as our customers. Think of a business. Businesspeople serve customers and address their needs.

Philanthropy that takes an attitude of helping is the opposite of philanthropy that takes a posture of service. Helping implies that the donor is superior. Serving puts you beneath those you serve. We help based on what we want; we serve based on what our customers need.

Do you have ideas or real-life examples of individuals or philanthropic organizations that exemplify this attitude of serving? How do you think they made the shift from helping to serving?

• Vinod Sankar 8:34 am, 28 Sep 2017

The concept of “seva bhav” could help an individual or an organization adopt a posture of service at all times.

• Shafi Ahmed 8:38 am, 28 Sep 2017

Can you please explain what is meant by seva bhav??

• Arti Mittal 8:45 am, 28 Sep 2017

Why is it important to take a posture of service? What’s wrong with just wanting to help out others who are less fortunate than ourselves?

• Vinod Sankar 8:47 am, 28 Sep 2017

Manoj Bhargava has attempted to draw a distinction between “Serving” and “Helping” in this article: https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Opinion-Fellow-Billionaires-/236287

Please see if this article helps answer your question.

• Hicham Filali Zehri 10:14 pm, 05 May 2019

There is nothing wrong with that. On contrast, this is very recommanded and shows how Human people are. My other point is that when we help someone, WE might idealistocally see that we are helping ourselves in becoming high standard Humans.

• Pranaay Katke 11:54 am, 04 Oct 2017

Yes, I have a visionary plan which I am planning on seeding and developing with like minded stronger partners, who wish to serve rural India today. I have been following visionaries worldwide and your project, gives me an idea on how I would love your support to channelise your innovations through our projects in the coming time. I’m an Indian visionary, artist founder at United Kalakar a Mumbai based foundation for Art & Culture, developing innovative modules to serve and create new opportunities in rural and urban India. My interest is art, technology and innovation in business. If there is an opportunity to speak with you, I would love to discuss my project which has the potential to create a collaborative ecosystem through art & innovation, to channelise new opportunities, startups and growth in our existing system which are most needed now. Look forward to connect with you soon. Regards Pranaay Katke, Mumbai.

• Ashish Sharma 8:36 am, 05 Oct 2017

Seva bhav means
    Feeling to help someone

• Bijay kumar pandey 2:03 pm, 05 Oct 2017

Mai is sanstha se judna cahta hoo

• Bijay kumar pandey 2:04 pm, 05 Oct 2017

Kya karna hoga mujhe

• Bijay kumar pandey 2:05 pm, 05 Oct 2017

Mai sirf aapki help kr sakta hoo wo v only in my mindn my body

• Manu Tayal 3:45 am, 06 Oct 2017

Amazing ideas , very very interested in your projects ………….

• sunil arora 10:48 am, 06 Oct 2017

Hello, I would be keen to associate with some of the activity. Pls let me know how I can.

• Anil Bhayani 1:03 pm, 06 Oct 2017

How can I participate in this noble work.?

• Asgar Fakhrudin 4:32 pm, 06 Oct 2017

When we are ‘helping’ there is a form of detachment but once we decide to ‘serve’ a bond develops and both one who serves and the one who is served are mutually benefited. The one who reaches out to serve is nourished spiritually, he feels happy and full filled. I have in my small capacity experienced this in serving marginalized medical cases.

• Anil Kumar Chaubey 7:05 pm, 06 Oct 2017

I have a plan to implement free electricity concept in the various corporate sector where the electricity consumption is very high, at least the general usage can be utilised with this. I have an effective implementation plan..

• Anil Kumar Chaubey 7:05 pm, 06 Oct 2017

I have a plan to implement free electricity concept in the various corporate sector where the electricity consumption is very high, at least the general usage can be utilised with this. I have an effective implementation plan..

• xxxxxx1284 8:24 am, 07 Oct 2017

I have My own Organisation Named “Sashakt Prayas Sanstha” & I am the president. I want to work with your seva bhavi sanshta. How ? please tell me. If possible give me details in Hindi. Thanks

• xxxxxx2111 9:01 am, 07 Oct 2017

Respected Sir, Serving humanity is excellence form of being a human. You are doing exceptionally well by changing the lives of millions. Great infinite good wishes for you!!!.

• xxxxxx1166 9:29 am, 07 Oct 2017

How can I participate in this noble work please contect me on this no 9891221166

• xxxxxx8258 5:49 am, 08 Oct 2017

a. YOU CONTACT My request is submitted today, to be addressed by Mr Manoj Bhargav in person and want him available on whatsAp & mail ID ( 9648058258 and [email protected]) and so the readers are welcome for their views and understand when_where_how we network the networth of ours.

b. KNOW MY PROFESSIONAL SUCCESSOR At my age 62+, I am retired professional from construction Industry and today’s work is giving people free transport 20 mt above with ground structure for people & material. Of course global technology with 100% fail safe at 60-120 km/Hr. It again need right marketing plan to start with.It could be your advice that may click, who knows!

c. Now walking with BillionsInChange in solar,water2agriculture with global best products require customers to pay as its development.Hence, its business for products aiming higher for productivity ever-existing by calling like minded friends, like Govt of India is open to all social media for public feedback .

d. WORKING ON LIFELONG GOAL ORGANICALLY:- Ideologically, there exists two class of people who are either work for money and to some wealth creations. Naturally, education from http://www.richdad.com, http://www.kolbe.org and power of networking will dominate the rest. But, the real power of Indian mass is its family culture. Their supporter will be NGO, corporate CSR, market, Banker and Govt all standing with a purpose. Naturally, not all can be benefited by one action but their attitude-personality expect different need from life & people. This can be more detailed specifically different for some; some will ask for it.

• xxxxxx0575 8:25 am, 08 Oct 2017

I want to participate in your noble projects.

• Ved prakash 8:27 am, 08 Oct 2017

How can I participate in this noble work please contact me on this no 9711495108

• xxxxxx3511 2:17 pm, 08 Oct 2017

I am veteran of Indian Army; a BITS Pilani graduate engineer of 1973 passing out. Have 40 years of experience as an Infrastructure developer for the Defence. Would consider myself lucky to render my time for any of your philanthropy projects.

• C K Mani 7:12 am, 09 Oct 2017

Great initiative, will be highly obliged if provided an opportunity to be of service.

• Vikram K 8:33 pm, 09 Oct 2017

Having a “basic welfare income” all over India for unemployed yet educated citizens is the best philanthropic initiative, I see such conscious initiatives by government of Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, West Bengal & Tamil Nadu who are giving monthly allowance benefit to unemployed youths and adults.

Life of citizens is more important than constructing Monuments, Nuclear Plants or buying Weapons of War.

• NVK Meerendra Balu Yepuri 6:19 am, 11 Oct 2017

how can I touch with you

• NVK Meerendra Balu Yepuri 6:19 am, 11 Oct 2017

how can I participate with you

• vikash 11:58 am, 11 Oct 2017

Solar electric and Health issue arises on Water is great initiative….we will use certain medical equipment from Solar Power and reach medical facility at remote loaction …. communication not a big challenge due to speed up Internet facility….

• Garsett Larosse 10:02 pm, 13 Oct 2017

Please look into the work of Frederic Laloux, a Belgian researcher who wrote Reinventing Organisations: http://www.reinventingorganizations.com. (downloadable copy with many examples of successful organisations)

• xxxxxx0065 4:40 am, 14 Oct 2017

It was a really nice video its very nice to see NRI’s like yourself who are even thinking about others which is so overwhelming. I was just knowing or thinking if there is a feedback system that is in place which can reach the team of experts who are working with the products. I firmly believe if these feedbacks can reach the decision makers it will surely make an impact.

Also there concerning the Solar Briefcase as it was properly said in the video its the awareness thats needed but if we also use proper social channels and maximize the crowdbase it will further enhance the campaign in a bigger way.

I also personally believe that some of these products can be extended or tweaked to urban population (i.e., The Solar Briefcase which can power the bigger batteries which we can use to run the lighting and Fans) also which help in commercializing the product and if the product can be made feasible it will be a big support for your project to reach the billions also this would bring down the Electricity consumption in Urban areas which is a big plus also it would bring down the electricity bill.

how can I reach or talk to someone from your team. ti would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sunil

• xxxxxx6040 12:09 pm, 15 Oct 2017

PLEASE TELL HOW CAN I HELP YOU FREE 9999996040

• Vagish Mishra 11:32 am, 17 Oct 2017

a basic question about solar lights….from where do they get the Solar Panels ? Is it imported and assembled or fully developed in India ???

• Saurabh Ranjan 5:47 pm, 18 Oct 2017

There are can be many more ideas of Serving. Mind of College Students are most fertile ground for Creative Ideas. Hans Foundation can run Essay Competition “How to Change/Improve India?” in various Colleges of different district of entire state, with deadline of 1 Month. Award Best one with One Solar Brief Case Machine, 2nd winner with Powerpack 300 , 3rd winner with Powerpack 150. This way momentum of creative discussion can be made. Run such competition in different states one by one. Slowly, It can be taken to School level.

• PRASAD PATIL 8:40 am, 21 Oct 2017

Hi Saurabh,
      This is very good idea. This will work and gives the momentum to the project to gain the popularity, which in turn help us, to reach the less privileged people.

• Kumar Kaushal 7:36 am, 03 Nov 2017

Gud idea

• Prabir De 1:26 pm, 21 Oct 2017

So it is not philanthropy rather it should be Symbiosis through which who is extending service to needy people gets benefited by enriching themselves with mental peace and enjoy the precious joy of giving which one can not get otherwise.
    I am interested to be an active soldier with my time, effort and available fund with this Himalayan task to bring change in the life of billions of people.
    Please help me to fulfill my intention.
    Dr.P.K.De

• S k vinocha 4:39 am, 22 Oct 2017

Sir, I saw your cycle project on AAJ TAK and I am really impressed with product idea.
    I am also in technical field and through your idea of generating electricity and electric storage device ,I would like to take your invention further for poor people of India .
    If you permit me I want to say that I want to join your organisation/Hans foundation without any consideration and like to take your project to needy.
    Initially I would like to buy your cycle device on payment basis.
    Pl send me cost of bicycle I want to serve your organisation in Maharashtra region and like to discuss matter personally..
    Thanks and God bless your team.
    Vinocha sk
    surender
    [email protected]

• Mirza Faisal Baig 9:04 am, 18 Nov 2017

One man has created a simple and affordable solution for electric bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGMiagFKhaQ I hope if it is produced and sold in india. it will be much cheaper. anyone from poor to reach can use it. but this man is solding this at very high cost and only in USA. but the Idea is very simple that can be created by any fabrication work.

• Vishal Singh 5:10 am, 28 Oct 2017

For a better attitude of serving we need to understand the perspective of the people who have the ability and capability of serving and might be a little bit of passion within. This group of people are no other but our youth who are working in corporate. I have been a part of such organisation where I volunteered with corporate services to visit some villages to distribute books and teach in some school. The best idea to perish this attitude to serve is by checking what perspective these corporate employee keep. i.e. increase their network and second, have fun by moving out of monotonous life. These can be targeted to achieve the best possible outcome.
    Thanks,
    Vishal

• xxxxxx9755 10:57 am, 28 Oct 2017

पारंपरीक खेति करने के लिये
    पहले हल का सरल और अच्छा होना चाहिये
    जिससे टेक्टर का इसतेमाल कम हो जिससे खेत अच्छा , कम लागत लगे और खेत अच्छे हो

• Shashank Mehta 3:24 am, 29 Oct 2017

I am impressed the way you have taken initiative to help and change the standard of living of needy one. I wish to associate with this movement and shall be grateful if I am advised for line of action.

• Piyush Yadav 6:54 pm, 29 Oct 2017

Goonj foundation is doing something similar. For example, they collect used clothes from people and give it to those in need. But they make the people do some work that they already know and give them clothing of higher value than they would normally earn. This makes the poor feel that they have earned it and certainly helps them.

• Piyush Yadav 6:54 pm, 29 Oct 2017

Goonj foundation is doing something similar. For example, they collect used clothes from people and give it to those in need. But they make the people do some work that they already know and give them clothing of higher value than they would normally earn. This makes the poor feel that they have earned it and certainly helps them.

• Rolando, Jr. Cano 12:18 pm, 30 Oct 2017

Hello Good day Billions in Change, I’ve been challenged once again to serve others who are in need after I watched the video. I successfully helped a homeless guy last 2016 by myself alone without the helped from any associations, government services or other NGO’s initiative, he is now a licensed teacher and currently working. and I want and I have the spirit to help and do more services here in our community for more of my homeless and helpless brothers and sisters on the streets, beggars and the like but sad to say I’m lack of resources. So I am willing to communicate to this newly found hope Billions in Change to collaborate to any great project opportunities that may come in our country. Please let me know. Thank You very much.

• VéèResh Harsh 7:20 am, 02 Nov 2017

किसी भी गरीब व्यक्ति के लिऐ 14450+9450=23950 की रकाम बहुत ज्यादा होती है। मुझे नहीं लगता कि गरीब इस कीमत पर इसे खरीद पायगा। अब वो जमाना नहीं रहा जब एक तकनीक सालों तक चलती हो
    तो आप उम्र को 5 साल रखो और वारन्टी दो साल पर कीमत कम करो किसने देखा 12 साल बाद क्या तकनीक होगी ।
    कुछ साल पहले CFL आयी और चार पांच साल के अंदर LED का दब दबा हो गया

• Kumar Kaushal 7:30 am, 03 Nov 2017

Sir I seen your billion in change video…. I say something to electric generating machine… If we use running machine and connect with electric generating equipment is it also work or not, if it works it also give a good health during morning walk/running… Because of many people wants to jogging in urban city or some big cities And also have health problems and also electricity is major problem. I think it get double benefit on those areas areas where electricity is less and it provides a good health….And used in trains,buses,and cars….thankyou

• xxxxxx0658 11:26 am, 04 Nov 2017

Only today i came to know about this.I am working for humanity as an NGO from last 21 Years .Now i want to join ur This Billionschange group.

Uday Randev

• xxxxxx5619 7:39 am, 10 Nov 2017

The progresive india for important but i want to simply provide the people as youmake your partner

• Mirza Faisal Baig 8:56 am, 18 Nov 2017

I like the concept run by the Goonj NGO (https://goonj.org/). it is the best package of indian giving culture with efficiency of the country. They Collect from donors and given to needy, just not free of cost, in return of some positive work for the country. The recipient feel that he earned the cloths, food, etc. This concept is need for creating and efficient India.

• xxxxxx7877 4:32 pm, 05 Dec 2017

I have some idea plz contact 2 me

• Nikhil VJ 3:54 pm, 14 Dec 2017

Totally relate with this, and I feel THIS is why many folks in NGO sector don’t like BIC and are keeping on looking for “plot-holes”. The BIC innovations are a threat to an NGO culture that thrives on taking donations to pretend to do some complicated help while ignoring the basics. BIC/Hans’s core message is the poor people don’t NEED any other help, if they just have the basics like electricity, clean water and enough food on the plate. They can work and earn their own way out of poverty. That idea is a threat to the billions-dollars NGO industry. And I must note this philosophy is Conservative rather than Leftist which believes in welfare statism and helping people to death. So to the BIC team, there is an inherent philosophy difference behind lack of support to your work from places where you’d normally expect an enthusiastic response. The good news is that normal citizens are much more receptive to your philosophy of doing the basics and letting people help themselves. So forge ahead, and ignore the complainers and the nit-pickers.

• xxxxxx4777 11:04 am, 18 Dec 2017

i wanted to buy hans power pack ple tell me, to whom should i contact

• Ryan Makhani 5:53 am, 04 Feb 2018

As whole I agree, that we need to be able to serve humanity with their needs. In other words, we want to serve to improve people’s quality of life.
    The assumptions made here are not always true – “Helping implies that the donor is superior.” That is not true all of the time, it does not always imply someone above or below. Also – “We help based on what we want” may easily also be “We help based on what we have.” I do love this conversation though as it brings out the concept of service as something that has a posture and vision. It makes me think of Paul Polak and Muhammad Yunus in their approaches to development that surpass the conventional non-profit ideas.

• Hicham Filali Zehri 6:13 pm, 12 May 2018

I Always want to but restrictions stop me.

• Subhash Kumar 4:37 am, 13 Nov 2018

Good !

• Gautham Reddy 7:53 pm, 05 Oct 2019

If philanthropy is service to humanity, then those we are serving should be seen as our customers. <~ this statement doesn’t make sense,

• Gautham Reddy 8:01 pm, 05 Oct 2019

Three quotes I learned from an old Italian guy 1. We should always remember what we have done bad to others.
      2. We should always remember the good things done by others

3. We should never remember the good things we have done to others.

I tried to explain the whole Idea in three quotes….

• Gautham Reddy 8:01 pm, 05 Oct 2019

Three quotes I learned from an old Italian guy 1. We should always remember what we have done bad to others.
      2. We should always remember the good things done by others

3. We should never remember the good things we have done to others.

I tried to explain the whole Idea in three quotes….

• Gautham Reddy 10:44 pm, 08 Nov 2019

We need a Revolution, in terms of “Education” we need to completely Revamp the Education system, first and foremost importance to “Moral Science Subject” the subject that teaches to “Respect the fellow Human being and to give Humanity highest Importance, Helping, Kindness, Sympathy for the Poor and Weak should be given Highest priority and Importance, Ethics and Ethical Practices, Respecting the Parents, Teachers, Elders, other Religions, Cultures, Nature etc…. Child care and Elderly Aged should be given out most care like where and how they are being treated and their living standard, Free Health Care and Education system”….

• Gautham Reddy 8:08 pm, 05 Oct 2019

At the moment the world needs education specially in the field of “moral science”, if morality strong in any family or system that will stay stronger and Impactful…

• Gautham Reddy 8:14 pm, 05 Oct 2019

If I have a million dollars then I will start with a school, college, and also the people in jails because a person who repents, suffered knows the value of life more than any one else, if we need to bring change then we need to change it from the roots, foundations with live actions rather than with speeches… we have to set an example…